Saturday 23 June 2007

The Makan Sisters Strikes @ Mizu, Bangsar Village


Ok, let's get cracking! It's time to work through Da List. AnnG read about Mizu and suggested we try that first. No arguments from this quarter, being a fan of Japanese food myself.

So Friday 22 June, we trotted along to Bangsar Village. Mizu is located on the first floor, right smack in front of the elevator.

The restaurant features a zen like, minimalist decor, with stone walls and flowing water. Like many of the modern restaurants, it has an open kitchen concept. AnnG remarked that there seems to be quite a number of chefs for a small restaurant. I would have expected the food to be served much faster, but is was not so.

Having had a huge lunch that day, I wasn’t very hungry, so I settled for a single portion of hand rolled Soft Shell Crab Maki and a plate of Salmon Sashimi to share. AnnG ordered the Mini Chirashi.

Salmon Sashimi dish came with 6 thickly cut slices of slippery smooth salmon pieces served over a bed of ice. No complaints there.



AnnG enjoyed her vinegar rice with the Chirasi. The tuna and butter fish pieces she shared with me were firm and fresh. I’ve always enjoyed sashimi for its simplicity. If it is fresh, it needs no further condiments to enhance the flavour beyond a tinge of soy sauce.

They messed up my order of Soft Shell Crab Maki. Mouth open, I was all ready to tuck into my maki, when I noticed 'Hey, where is my soft shell crab?' The maki was quite a disappointment. The fried soft shell crab was very oily, I've tasted better. And the rice in the maki is not as compact as I would have liked it to be.

For a place that is touted as fine dining, I really don’t see anything fine about it except the prices. The bill came up to RM95.46. Quite steep, the quality of the food was ok, but nothing spectacular, but service was generally not satisfactory. I stuck my hand in the air and waved for about 5 whole minutes before anyone took notice of it. Considering they had quite number of staff and it is supposed to be a ‘fine dining’ restaurant, it was unacceptable. The captain spied us taking photographs and came over to re-arrange AnnG’s bowl of Chirashi just so. Weird. I would rather she paid more attention to serving customers.

Would I come back here to dine? Perhaps for lunch. Bangsar Village is a stone's throw away from my office and they do pretty good value sets. But suffice to say that for a place that is labeled as fine dining, I’m not particularly impressed.

Mizu Japanese Fine Dining
LotF6, First Floor, Bangsar Village, No1. Jalan Telawi Satu, Bangsar Baru, KL. Tel: 03-2283 6988

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i disagree with you considering mizu serves one of the best japanese food.

I guess you'll just have to know what to order and as for their service, i never get treated like that whenever i go there.
The service i get there is superb and they're very friendly towards me and my family.

maybe you should give it another go.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.